Trash being burned in a barrel resulted in a woods fire that endangered three mobile homes outside of Pinebluff Friday.
Emergency responders were dispatched just before 6:00 pm to a reported woods fire on R Sands Road off of Pinebluff Lake Road.
When the first fire units reached the scene residents from two of the homes were using water hoses and buckets filled with water to stop the approaching flames from reaching their houses.
Firefighters were quickly able to bring the fire under control, but not before it had burned more than an acre of woods and yards.
Although the fire burned within 20 to 30 feet of two of the homes fortunately the fire was brought under control before there was damage to any of the structures.
According to one of the residents at the scene, trash was being burned in a barrel when a spark or cinder escaped causing the nearby leaves to catch on fire.
Responding to this incident were units with Pinebluff Fire & Rescue, Aberdeen Fire & Rescue, Pinehurst Fire & Rescue, and the NC Forest Service.
Readers are reminded that until we get a significant amount of rain across our area there should not be outside burning of any kind.